5 things to make you a SAFER driver
Posted on Tuesday, May 2nd, 2023 at 3:00 pm
1) Wear Your Seatbelt: Wearing a seatbelt is one of the most effective ways to stay safe while driving. It can reduce the risk of serious injury or death in a crash. Make sure you and all passengers wear seatbelts properly before starting the car.
2) Avoid Driving Under the Influence: Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol is not only illegal but also extremely dangerous. It impairs your judgment, slows your reaction time, and increases the risk of accidents. If you plan to drink or use drugs, make sure you have a designated driver, ride share, taxi, or use public transportation.
3) Keep a Safe Distance: Maintaining a safe distance from the vehicle in front of you is crucial for avoiding accidents. A good rule of thumb is to keep at least one car length for every 10 mph you’re driving. This can be between 2 seconds to 10 seconds behind the car in front of you. This gives you enough time to react if the vehicle in front of you suddenly stops or swerves.
4) Avoid Speeding: Speed kills. Speeding is a common cause of accidents, and it can increase the severity of injuries if a crash occurs. Always obey the posted speed limit and adjust your speed according to road conditions, weather, and traffic.
6) Eliminate Distractions: Distracted driving is a major cause of accidents. Avoid distractions such as texting, eating, grooming, or adjusting the radio or navigation system while driving. Keep your focus on the road, and use a hands-free device for phone calls if necessary.